Labor of Love

6 Sep

Hope everyone’s Labor Day weekend is going well. Mine has been quite excellent – three whole days without working! Lucky me. Friday was a late day, but the rest of the weekend made up for it, by far. I had to stay late for First Friday, which wasn’t very busy. I just set up two of the mini-golf holes in front of our annex building and kids could come play if they wanted. There were a lot more people down there than I expected, but not so many kids. Mostly that artsy crowd that likes to go to those kinds of things – art openings, musicians in the street, and the like. On my way home I ordered Cootie Brown’s pizza, picked it up on my way from the Museum, and had a most delicious dinner when I got home.

Saturday was such a glorious day – so pretty and clear and bright, breezy with just a hint of fall in the air. That’s the best – still warm enough to wear cute summer clothes, but that tiny chill that means layers. That was just what we had. My mom, grandmother and I went errand-running, and ended up being gone a lot longer than we expected. We had just meant to go to Target, but ended up gallivanting around town for several hours. I love days like that – when you meander through town without aim, and end up somewhere completely random from where you started. We spent a good hour in Target, then decided we needed to go out to Kohl’s as well. My mom and I each ended up finding a new purse and a new shirt, despite her vow to not buy anything new til November. Well, she didn’t actually buy it – my grandmother did – as our “fall surprise” – which was nice. I got an adorable mustard bag that I just love – it makes me want to go to the Northeast and walk around a city taking pictures. It’s so cute, and easy for hands-free shopping. Look for it (as well as the shiny new shirt I got) here.

Dinner that night was with Alli at Olive Garden. It’s been so long since we’ve gotten together – we definitely need to make plans more often. I know I say that nearly every time we hang out, but it’s still true. We were at dinner for a long time – we didn’t get there til late, after she got off work (and 45 minutes after they were supposed to close, because some girl came in right as they were closing and just HAD to pick out her bridesmaid’s dress right then!). We ended up both getting a table about the same time as the other, waiting for each other to show up. Luckily we were seated pretty close together, so it didn’t take long to figure out. I’m sure that happens all the time in restaurants. Anyway, we finally got seated at the same table together, and had a nice dinner. It’s been forever since I’ve been to Olive Garden – I gorged myself on their breadsticks! It was great to see her, as always. We even were on top of things and scheduled our next date already!

Sunday – what a lovely day! I’m under the impression that weekends should always be three days long, just so you have enough time to actually kick back and relax, while getting stuff done, as well. You have to have that time to catch up on your life and all its errands and chores outside of work. We definitely need a third weekend day for that. Sunday was so nice. Mom and I got up and went to church, then came home to get my grandmother for lunch. It was so lovely outside – still a hint of that breeze from the previous day – that we decided to sit somewhere outside. We ended up at O’Charley’s, which admittedly doesn’t have a great view (a vast parking lot), but the porch was just too irresistible to pass up. We ate a leisurely lunch outside, where I had the most delicious blueberry tea.

We spent the rest of the day outside at home, on the back porch and laying around in the hammock. Mom and I were both reading. You’ll be so proud of me – I FINALLY finished Edgar Sawtelle! It’s been an ashamedly long time. I’m kind of embarrassed about how long it’s taken to get through that book – not because it was bad, becaue it definitely wasn’t – but because of my lack of motivation to do anything remotely resembling reading or stimulating my mind. I’ve just been too busy and too distracted and too addicted to TV lately. That said, I’m going to make a serious effort to start reading again. I do miss it. I have so many unread books around my room just waiting to get cracked open. I don’t have another picked out yet, but I will soon.

I came inside the house just in time to get a phone call from the lovely Katy Webber, who I have not talked to in at least a year! It was so nice to talk to her again, and catch up on what’s been going on in out lives. She seems to be doing really well – she’s at grad school up in Massachusetts, and she loves it. I’m thinking about going to visit her sometime in the next month or so. I think it would be so pretty to see Boston in the fall – I just might do it. I’ve been looking at flights up there for October. I’m in serious need of a road trip, and a fellow future art therapist to reconnect with. I do happen to have a free weekend right before my birthday…stay tuned. I might just turn up in the Northeast in a few weeks!

So, after finishing my book and laying outside in the sun all day, I went to Nikki’s for another Lost date. We’re now 2/3 of the way through season 2. This one is a little slower, I think, than the first one, but the second of anything is usually that way.

Today has also been a very good day. I woke up late – I haven’t been able to sleep in in forever. I didn’t even know I was still capable of that! I had a leisurely breakfast while my mom went to get her hair cut and highlighted, then I got in the shower and actually made myself presentabe, rather than choosing to sit around the house all day in pajamas. I sat around watching part of the Anthony Bourdain marathon that was on – I just missed his 100th episode in Paris, but I’m sure it will rerun. We went to Michael’s so my mom could pick out a frame for her white coat collage she’s making my brother. Of course, I found some new jewelry supplies for a project I’m working on, as well. Then we went to Walgreen’s to order some pictures, then to the Museum to get the gecko and the roaches. I have to be up and out of the house very early in the morning, and I don’t really feel like driving to the Museum to get the animals then. So, they’re spending the night with me. We came back home and made dinner – cooking out hamburgers for maybe one of the last times this summer. We made some sauteed mushrooms and onions to go on them – my favorite! – as well as some sweet potato fries. I tried out a dipping sauce based on the one at Alley Kat, and it wasn’t half bad. After dinner, Mom and I went to see The Sorcerer’s Apprentice. We’ve both been wanting to see it for a while. It was pretty good – definitely not ranking up there on my list – but still a fun summer movie. I like fantasy and creative things like that, where you just wonder how they really made that happen. I wouldn’t mind seeing it again, actually, now that I think about it.

So, as you can see, I’ve had a wonderful weekend. I hope you did, too, and that you’re finally feeling some relief to all that sweltering summer heat!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: