9 to 5

10 May

I’ve spent my day running around like mad again at the Museum (does anyone else see that trend in my life?). We’re still closed on Mondays for a few more weeks, so it’s nice to have that time where I can really get everything together when it’s quiet and there aren’t any guests out on the floor to worry about. It was one of those days where you have a million things on your to-do list that are pretty urgent, and you do most of them, yet still feel like you didn’t get everything accomplished for the day. It seems like, no matter how many things I cross off my list, there are somehow more things added on. Of course I’m the one adding two things for everyone one that’s crossed off, but still, it’s like those things just magically appear out of nowhere. That’s how my entire week is going to be, I can already tell. I have three different programs at the same school on three different days this week, so I’ll be in and out a lot. I also have very limited time to get all those materials together and make sure I know what I’m doing for each program. Tomorrow is BioFuels, Wednesday is a sheep heart dissesction (eek!), and Thursday is Air Pressure. I’ve only done one of those programs before, so a lot of it will be winging it this week…

I spent a good portion of the day getting together all the BioFuels supplies. I can probably do this program in my sleep, having done it so often last fall. But it’s been several months since I’ve done it, and I feel a little rusty. I’ve looked over the program guide at least 10 times, hoping I remember everything I’m supposed to talk about. Surely it will just come back naturally. I also went through both of the supply boxes to make sure we have everything ready for the program. You wouldn’t believe how rough some of the kids are on our materials, even though they’re sometimes pretty expensive. For the most part, everything is still in pretty good shape after all those programs last fall. There were just a few things that needed some attention, and some things that needed replacing. I think everything will be OK for the programs I’m doing tomorrow.

At one point today I had to run out to Wal-Mart for some replacement materials, including a fan. The last one we had was completely shot – the plastic casing around the wiring was coming off at the base, making the wires really hot whenever it was plugged in. Definitely a fire hazard! The surge protector that we used was also completely destroyed, so I just had to throw that away. Anyone know of a good way to dispose of that? I felt bad just getting rid of it, but it just didn’t work anymore. I didn’t have a lot of time for this shopping trip because I had to get back for a staff meeting this afternoon. Those usually last quite a while – every other Monday from 3:30 to 5:00, and sometimes a little longer than that! I haven’t had many updates lately, just general news about what I’ve been up to and whatnot, but sometimes there are discussions that last for quite a while. I’m not complaining, though. It’s fun to be part of the management staff and know all these special projects that are going on. It is a little tedious to talk about things like the budget, though. That could definitely be more lively. But since when was budgeting thrilling?

I also made a ton of copies of the student packets for this coming week. I went through a few months ago and revised the old one, which kind of needed some help. It wasn’t terrible, but I just rearranged some things so they look neater, and put some titles and directions to clearly separate the different stations, and added some questions to a station that didn’t have any before. Now everything has a purpose, and it’s a lot better to read. Anyway, I had to make copies for all the students of that packet, which took a long time. Unfortunately, I forgot that our copier is fancy and will make double-sided, collated, stapled copies of things. I got the double-sided part OK – that’s never been a problem for me. But I forgot that the copier will staple packets together, so I just did it myself. I definitely wasted a lot of time doing that! No matter, though. I just had some extra time for my AmeriCorps hours!

This is just the beginning of a very long week for me. It’s good that I’m staying busy and having so many scheduled Outreaches, but at the same time, I’d like to have a break soon! I hope this week goes well, because there’s not much room for error if it doesn’t.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: